Wednesday 19 February 2014

Wicked

In the summer of 2012 I went to go see the musical Wicked at the Apollo Victoria Theatre in London. Seeing this show solidified my passion for costume design and reaffirmed that this would be something I wanted to do for a career. I found that the costumes were very detailed and, helped to portray the character that they were playing. The colours that were also used I found represented the characters personalities quite well and the audiences perceptions of those characters, with Elphaba and Nessa wearing black as they are supposed to be evil and the ‘Wicked witches’, and Glinda wearing white, as she is meant to be good and pure.

After going to see this show, I then went to research the costume designer behind the show, to see where they got their inspiration from and if they had done any other shows. I found that she was called Susan Hilferty and had designed for shows such as, Annie, If There Is I Haven’t Found It Yet. I also found that she drew her inspiration from the time period in which the Wizard of Oz is set. She also looked at the Edwardian era and gave it a twist by having dresses with asymmetry and twists in them. 







All of these pictures have been taken from Susan Hilferty's website

No comments:

Post a Comment