Wednesday 15 October 2014

Lion King Sunderland & Backstage Tour

Last week I went to go see The Lion King at the Sunderland Empire Theatre and had a backstage tour at the end of it by one of the cast members. I found that when I went to go see the show, I was just as captivated by the costumes as I was by the actual show. I thought that the costumes were very inventive and well thought out, and managed to make even minor objects like grass and ant hills into costumes like they were actual characters.

The masks I thought were very well designed and added to the show and helped to portray the characters in a way that just normal make up wouldn't have been able to do. I liked the fact that it wasn't a conventional stage production, where everything happened on the stage, in this show it made some of the songs more dramatic when the characters would enter from the back, this in a way engaged the audience, because they were looking around during the songs to see where the other animals would enter from.

After the show I was lucky enough to have a backstage tour with two of my friend that I went to go see the show with, by one of the cast members that was in the ensemble. She showed us around the backstage area where they kept the props and we were allowed to hold some of them. We were also allowed onto the stage itself, and I found that everything was a lot bigger up close and personal than it is when you’re watching from the audience. The last place that we were shown was underneath the stage, which was where the ensemble had to change costumes. This space was very cramped for the amount of people that had to change there, there was also all through the backstage labels on the floor for where other characters had to get changed in the hallways. 

Walking around the backstage I realised that working on a theatre production could end up being very fast paced and quite stressful. However, this does not put me off wanting to get experience in that field on work. 

                                                The Lion King West End Show Trailer.
                                          



                                    Scar & Mufasa from the stage production The Lion King
                           


                                    Timon & Pumbaa from the stage production The Lion King

No comments:

Post a Comment